Dec 30, 2008

Music

Since I was a wee lad music has been a part of my life. Although I have no musical talent and have been told that I am "rythemically challenged" . But I enjoy music.

One of my first memories is of my grandmother holding me as she danced to the battery powered radio before we had electricity in rural South Carolina. Hank would sing the blues and grandma and I would dance. She would tell me stories of how her brother-in-law played a tater bug mandolin. Late in the afternoon just before dark with the sweet smell of honeysuckle on the soft summer air you could hear the the tinkling sound of Uncle Gene's tater bug as he walked through the tall pines for a visit. And some where in the distance there would be the whistle of a freight train and you hear a pack of coon hounds strike the fresh trail of the old masked bandit.

Through the years I have heard many different kinds of music and much of it beautiful. But some how there is a certain charm and purity of the tunes of my childhood and Scots-Irish ancestry.


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this post?