Apr 7, 2008

and then some...

I have finished reading Fast Food Nation. It was recommended by David. It explores the effect of fast food restaurants have had on American culture. The most frightening writing concerns the lack of concern major corporations have for food safety. Before reading this book I had a completely different opinion of the US economy and the relationship between business, government and the consumer. I have always been of the impression that less regulation was the best regulation. This opinion was based my experience in corporate America. My experience was in a management capacity. Perhaps the root of my misconception was the belief that man is basically good. Apparently ethics are only applicable when there is no profit motive involved. The book documented instances when tainted meat was sold as hamburgers and people actually died from them. But the meat suppliers did not immediately pull the meat of the product without coercion. I assure you that if you read this book, you will never look at a hamburger the same again. And you may become a vegetarian.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this post?