Jul 4, 2020

Night Ride With Sarge

“You can call me John, Frank, or Sarge,” he said.
I was trying to keep up with the tall man in blue as we walked across the parking lot toward the police cars. It was the last part of the Citizen Police Academy offered by our local police department. This was the “ride along”; the event we class members were waiting for.  And I was no different.  All  other lectures with exception of D.U.I. stops and using speed detection equipment had been at the station. 

“Okay, Sarge,” I said.

“We’ll be using this old Crown Vic since my car is in the shop,” he said as we approached the patrol car. “And remember, you will stay in the car at all times.  I don’t care if I’m getting my ass beat, you stay in the car!”

“Got it,” I said,  I did not feel argumentative. 

Once I entered the car, I realized the lack of space in the front. With the space needed for the laptop and other electronics the passenger seating was rather limited. 

“This car doesn’t have a laptop, so I’ll be doing things the old fashioned way,” he said as he lay several printed pages on the platform designed to hold the laptop.

He fired up the Crown Vic and we were on our way. I listened as he explained how the papers on the platform contained a list of what he had to do during his shift. “There’s something I always do at the beginning of each shift before I begin work on the list. We’re going to Bucky’s Quick Stop,” he said.

“We taking a break to get started?” I said with a smile.

“Yes and no,” Sarge retorted without any humor in his voice. 
H“Bucky’s is my local source of information about the community.  I can find out if anything suspicious is going on around there.”

“Pretty smart,” I said.  

There was no response. I had hoped I would see some kind of action. Cops, Adam 12, NYPD Blue, Hill Street Blues and more recently Blue Bloods were my favorite TV shows. 

We drove around while Sarge worked his list. He checked one place for a vagrant and a house where criminal activity was suspected.  And finally we were heading out of town on a busy fourlane street when Sarge said, “Hold on!”

He turned on the blue lights and he executed a u-turn. The tires squealed. I heard the engine gasping for air as the acceleration threw me back in my seat. I always get an adrenaline rush when I’m in a vehicle accelerating. Our quarry was a small red pick-up truck. 

"What’d he do?” I wanted to know.

“He didn’t dim his lights,” Sarge said.

The truck pulled over into the center and stopped. Sarge alighted and approached the vehicle but soon returned to the car. He was holding a driver’s license in his hand. “Do you know how to pronounce this name?” he asked, showing the license to me.

“Can’t help you, Sarge,”  I answered.  I have never been good at pronouncing  Middle Eastern names,

Sarge continued to stare at the driver’s license, then,  with a sigh he went back to the motorist.  Upon his reentering the police car, I asked him if he had given the driver a ticket. He said he had not, but had given him a stern lecture about driving on a restricted driver’s license.  The young man driving the pick-up was violating the restrictions of his license.

The night staggered on. No excitement.

The radio crackled.  Sarge said it was a rookie cop who needed a veteran’s help. A few minutes later we were at another convenience store. There was a young officer, an elderly lady, and a small Indian man in front of the store.

I stayed in the car as Sarge approached the trio.  Within a few minutes the young cop had put the old lady in his police car and the Indian man had disappeared back into the store. As they were leaving the young cop stopped his car beside our car. 

Sarge said to the young officer, “Remember, when you get her home go next door and tell her daughter what happened. She’ll take care of her.”

“What was that all about, Sarge?”  I wanted to know, thinking, did they arrest little old ladies?

As we turned back on the major street, Sarge said, ” Hijab, the store owner, called the police. He couldn’t get the lady to leave.  Even though she had driven there, she said the car wasn’t hers. He offered to call someone for her but she said she didn’t know anybody. So he called us. This happens every now and then with old people.  They shouldn’t be allowed on the road.”

I was not fond of Sarge’s last statement. I’m seventy-six. 

We had a few more traffic stops that night. Not much excitement, and that was good. In retrospect, I would go through the Citizen Police Academy again.

And I'll get my police excitement from television.

_____________________________________________________________

The names have been changed in thi story for obvious reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this post?