Jul 12, 2019

I've Got A Target On My Back


I have a target on my back and I don't know what I can do about it. I am a Caucasian. Yes, white. And I am male.  Yes, a man. And I am 75 years old. That's right, I am an old white man.

It seems like every time I watch the news on TV or read a newspaper, I find that phrase “old white men”. It seems we are blamed for all society's ills. Whatever the government does that doesn’t meet the approval of the populous is done by old white men. It even seems that old white men owe reparations for the descendants of slaves. The corporations that produce the goods and services the people enjoy are run by old white men. Old white men control everything, or so some people say.

I would like to say something in defense of old white men and not just because I am one. Let’s look at the things we enjoy every day. What about that automobile you drive? You can afford it because it was built on an assembly line created by an old white man. Most of the products we enjoy in our homes from food in the pantry to clothes in our closets are there because some old white man built a factory or a railroad. And a farmer grew that food on a farm cut from the wilderness by his pioneer ancestors. I’m not saying that everything we enjoy today is the result of some old white men.  Some innovations were created by non-white men. But the majority were created by white men. Like it or not white men made America what it is today. Sure they had help, but they did most of it. Yes, old white men do run most of the most powerful corporations. And yes they do pay themselves too much. But sometimes there is something rotten in the state of Denmark. (And always will be.) We need those corporations to sustain the quality of life we’re used to.  Reparations for slavery are ridiculous. I’m reasonably sure that if I looked far enough back in my ancestry I would find a slave. Slavery is not defined by race. 

We live in the greatest country in the world. The grand experiment is still working as planned. And this old white man believes that if you don’t like America, you should leave it. I’ll wear my target proudly!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this post?