Nov 11, 2015

Good Luck?

How many times have you wished someone "Good Luck"? What did you mean exactly? If they were a competitor did you really wish that they have good good luck?  Wishing them good luck would actually be verbalizing your desire to lose. And that would be rather unlikely, wouldn't you say? This leads me to another thought. (Is that creating a "thread" in computer telecommunication speak?) But that would be digressing. Back to good luck.  Aside from someone wishing good luck are there other methods by which one can obtain this somewhat elusive state? (state?) We are extremely fortunate to live in world in which those items or actions exist that can produce this good luck. And from whence did said objects and actions receive such powers. The origins of such are somewhat blurred by the passage of time. But does it really matter what the origin was? Me? I'm only interested in the end result.  Let  the academicians determine origins.  I am not a superstition person. However, I'm not opposed to a bit of good luck.  Maybe... more than a bit.

When I was younger I always carried a rabbit's foot. Usually on a keychain with one lonely, solitary key.  Probably one I had found somewhere.  I don't recall if the rabbit's foot ever brought me
good luck or not but I did clutch it in my hand when I was around Linda Sue McAdams in the lunchroom.  I had a strong desire for her to smile at me.  But in the back of my mind was always the image of a three-footed rabbit hopping around.  Did that spoil the effect? I don't know, but smiles from Linda Sue were very rare.

I have always wanted to wish on a falling star for good luck. But I have never seen one.  'Though often I have gazed at the night sky with someone who was close to my heart I have never seen one. They would say, "Tony, did you see that one?" I would look but never see it. And four leaf clovers
have eluded me too.  I did throw salt over my shoulder once while scrambling some eggs for my Mom for Saturday breakfast once. I don't think a scolding qualifies for good luck. As a southerner I always have field peas and collards for a meal on New Years Day.  The peas for good luck and the collards for plenty of greenbacks. In Nuremberg I rubbed the magic ring for good luck. And I rubbed the nose of a dog statue in the Moscow Metro for the same reason.  Perhaps one of the most interesting attempts to achieve good luck was spinning around clockwise with my heel on the testicles of an mosiac bull on the floor of a shopping galleria in Milan. Thus far, I have no documented results of any of my actions or behaviors achieving good luck.


But good luck does find some people. My wife did in fact kiss the Blarney Stone in Cork, Ireland. before she found me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this post?