Apr 5, 2012

Eatin' My Way Down 17A #2


Another episode of “eating my way down 17A”.  Barbecue is a great find anywhere but particularly in the south and no place better than Moose’s Famous BBQ.  Situated in a nondescript cinderblock building on the  outskirts of Moncks Corner, SC, Moose’s serves up the best barbecue I’ve ever tasted.

When you walk in the place I get that down home friendly feeling even if I have to stand in line.  I HATE standing in line! But, not at Moose's!  I don’t mind waiting to give that elderly lady my $11 and get my styrofoam plate and plastic fork. I wish they had paper plates though.  I think that styrofoam affects he flavor of the barbecue meat. Kinda takes some of that smoky flavor away.  Then I feast my eyes on that buffet, and my saliva glands shift into overdrive. Before me, under the lights, are the veggies I grew up on: corn, green beans, potatoes, and okra.  But after them come the meats.  As you look at the meats notice the sign which says, “If you don’t smell smoke, it’s not barbecue!”. There’s chicken fingers and barbecue chicken, but the king of the buffet is the pig meat. There’s pulled pork, and pork loin.  I really believe in barbecue pulled pork, but my cap’s off to the brisket. Moose’s  brisket is the most tender, tastiest, I’ve ever tasted. They slice it right in front of you! Ask how thick do you want the slices and how many. Pour on your choice of sauce, and you have a meal fit for a king or maybe too good for a king. The only thing missing from the buffet are ribs; kinda like having a church without a steeple. But I’ll get over it. You can add on a dessert of banana pudding, peach cobbler, or sweet potato soufflĂ©.  Get that sweet iced tea from that big dispenser yourself in that big styrofoam cup. (Red Solo cups are not available.)


PIG OUT!


Put your trash in the big plastic trash can on the way out.  Be careful going to your car if it’s after dark.  There are big potholes. Kirby Johnson from Kingstree lost his Datsun pickup in one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this post?