Jul 13, 2010

Paddlin'


This Saturday past I went kayaking on the Edistoe

River with a group of men from our church. I am not a paddler. I'm not even a swimmer. But, I guess the yearn for adventure does not subside as one ages. But the ability sure does. I have only been in one of these small plastic boats twice before. Once on the Delaware and once on another river. The outfitter had all the boats at the water's edge when we arrived. He gave a little instruction of do's and don't's and paddling instruction.
"Don't get close to the overhanging trees!", he said.

Once in the water that was the first thing I did--got hung up in a tree!

The instructor pulled me out and I avoided trees for another few miles. The current was rather swift by flat-water standards where we put the boats in but subsided as we drifted downstream.

We stopped for lunch at a sandbar. Ham and cheese sure was good. Later the guide sliced a watermelon in his kayak and paddled along side to give each of us a slice.
Harry and I paddled along slowly while some of the others moved a a faster pace. When we rounded a bend and saw a blond girl in a red bikini we decided that this must be Givhans Ferry State Park where we were to take our boats out. We saw the other boats on the river bank and knew the trip was over.
I enjoyed the trip. But is was a very hot day (96 degrees plus) and I could never get the seat in my boat adjusted properly. However, was great fun with a great bunch of guys. A kayaker I am not! I must mark this off my list of life's aspirations...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this post?