Jul 26, 2009

Paper vs. Pixels









I recently watched two films via DVD based on comic books, Ghostrider and Electra. Although they were beautifully done, they seemed to be missing something. What was it? I don't know but I think it has to do with the imagination. We all know that story telling, especially in print, feeds the imagination. When we read those words in print we interpret them into visual images. When you first read Tom Clancy, did Jack Ryan look like Harrison Ford? Probably not. I think that the same is true when making the transition form comic book or graphic novel to movie. Regardless of how the artist has depicted the events, the images remain static. For that reason the movies take away that bit of the imagination used to animate. And , besides, you miss the great pictorial layouts in film.







By the way I liked both movies, but the comics appeal more to me.



The drawing below was done during vewing the films....

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this post?