Jul 6, 2009

Cross training


Recently, I've cut back the number of paintings I've been doing and worked on other creative stuff. Also, we've been doing a bit traveling as well. Frequently, I do a bit of sketching while traveling and maybe some small watercolors. But there is one thing I always do. I take a lot of photographs. Although the premise is usually a "reference " photo, as in reference material for a painting. So, I have a lot of photos which are never used as reference. But invariably while viewing some of the reference photos I would see subjects that I thought could have been better photographed. I'm not a photographer, but a fairly good weekend painter. So, I'm thinking that I can use some picture making principles and photo editing software to improve the pix. Look at these photos. The one of the left is the original and the other is the edited version. This what I changed using Photoshop. I thought the dancing girl was the center of interest.





  • I cropped the photo to put the center of interest, the girls face, in upper 1/3 of the left side.


  • I gave her a darker value.


  • I lightened, reduced the value of the foreground.


  • I blurred everything except the center of interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this post?