Dec 22, 2007

Sketchers delight




Some of the things I do in my sketch book may be different from the norm, but I have my reasons.

At the left is a rubbing of the signature of Frank Lloyd Wright. Wright was one of the few architects who signed his work. normally the initials were on a small ceramic tile. It is good to get rubbings of such things, a further use of the visual data collection device. Normally I use a soft pencil, such as a No. 2 or 2B to get the image. Any paper less than 90lb. seems to work okay. I have used the side of a color marker such as a Crayola for rubbing. This allows you to introduce a bit of color. I like color in sketch books. The sketch above is of a Wright design church in Madison, WI.

Wright was a great architect and quite egotistical. When appearing in court once he identified himself as"Frank Lloyd Wright, World's Greatest Architect". When ask why he added"the worlds greatest architect, Wright simply replied,"I am under oath, aren't I?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think of this post?